Home Page Learn More About Gary Fine Testimonials Frequently Asked Questions My Personal Guarantee Interfaith Ceremonies Involving Your Children/Family Members In Your Ceremony How To Obtain A Marriage License Other Services Performed By Gary Fine Celebrity Weddings Links & Resources Preferred Vendors Contact Gary Fine Weddings

Marriage License


State law requires that both the Bride & Groom apply together for their marriage license (referred to as a "Notice of Intentions"). Individuals must be 18 or older to obtain a marriage license. You may apply for a marriage license at the clerk's office of any city or town in the Commonwealth. Valid identification is required (drivers' license, passport, etc…). As the license fee varies, check with various towns for specific information (typically, somewhere between $15 - $50). As of January 2005, pre-marital blood tests are no longer required. Massachusetts imposes a three-day waiting period from the day you file your marriage intentions. Once issued, the marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth for sixty (60) days.

Other New England States

I perform weddings primarily in my home state of Massachusetts, however, the information below may be helpful for couples looking to obtain a marriage license elsewhere. As there are slight variations among the other New England states, you may wish to familiarize yourself with the policies & procedures of the state in which your planning to wed.

Rhode Island  New Hampshire Vermont


Maine New York
Age Requirements 18 18 18 18 18 18
Cost ($) $24.00 $45.00 $23.00 $30.00 $30.00 $30 - $40
Waiting Period None  3 Days None None None 24 Hours
Valid For: 90 Days 90 Days 60 Days 65 Days 90 Days 60 Days
Identification Birth
Photo ID
None Valid
Photo ID
Photo ID
Birth Certificate
Valid Photo ID
Witness Required? Two None None None Two Two
Blood Test None None None None None None
Residency None None None None None None

Helpful Hints:

  • Verify all requirements with the city/town clerk at least one month in advance of your wedding. 

  • If previously married, be prepared to show a certified copy of final divorce decree or a certified copy of death certificate if either party is widowed. 

  • If both parties are out-of-state, clerks suggest obtaining your marriage license in the city/town in which you're planning to wed.

Certificates of Marriage
(a few samples)
Marriage Certificate Tube

As a keepsake each couple will receive an "unofficial" Certificate of Marriage presented in an engraveable silver tube. This invaluable certificate can be taken on your honeymoon as state licenses are not immediately available.  

"Unofficial Marriage Certificate" "Unofficial Marriage Certificate"

back to top


© Copyright, Gary Fine Weddings, 2003-2010
Webdesign & Hosting by: HostingHere.com